Sunday, May 30, 2010

"I see you."

I watched Avatar for the first time this evening in my living room. I could get into many different kinds of conversations here on politics, on energy, on humanitarian, or environmental efforts. But I won't. Not now.

Instead, I come away tonight thinking about the three words exchanged between the lovers in the film: "I see you."

They say this to one another as a replacement to the phrase, "I love you." "Love" is often misconstrued or abused in this world we have now. Love today has sometimes meant manipulation. Just fill in the blank: "If you really loved me, you would _________ for me." Or it's used as an apology, "but, I love you" as if that could immediately erase fault.

But, "I see you."

To me it means to fully see and appreciate another for who he or she is inside and out. To view him or her as Other, and yet know and connect to him or her as one--all in the same breath. To truly see another person is a gift to both the seer and the observed, for the observed can feel the openness, the acceptance, and yes--the love--being exchanged in a glance.

No comments:

Post a Comment